lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Apostolis Xekoukoulotakis <xekou...@gmail.com>
Subject Per User filtering of public/common documents
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 21:55:20 GMT
Let us say that we have N users that care about K of the M common documents
that exist in a database. What is the best way to filter the documents?

The results will then be sorted per properties of the document,properties
that are stored in a database.(multidimensional score/sorting). Then the
top D^(number of properties) results can be extracted to be shown in the
users screen. For this to work, all hits need to collected from Lucene.

(One of the properties is ofcourse relevance which is extracted from lucene)
(The other 'properties/ranking' of the documents will change a lot despite
the document remaining static.)

What is the fastest way to do what I want? Can you explain your answer on
the algorithmic complexity of  the internals of lucene so as that I
understand lucene?

I have heard that collecting all documents is time consuming. Why is that?
Arent all documents that match the terms of the query sorted by relevance
despite the fact that only n of them are selected?

Some random thoughts/solutions:
In a new field, add to each document the name of the users that want to see
it, then pass the name in the query.

Create and store a bitmap per user.
problem:the bitmap will change a lot since it depends on the properties
that change dynamically.

Too many questions, sorry for that.

--

Sincerely yours,