lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Robert Bart <rb...@cs.washington.edu>
Subject Sort runs out of memory
Date Thu, 17 May 2012 21:03:17 GMT
Hi all,

I am running Lucene 3.6 in a system that indexes about 4 billion documents
across several indexes, and I'm hoping to get documents in order of a
certain NumericField.

I've tried using Lucene's Sort implementation, but it looks like it tries
to do the entire sort in memory by allocating a huge array with space for
every document in the index. On my index, this quickly runs out of memory.

Instead, I've switched to using several NumericRangeQueries to approximate
getting documents in a certain order. However,  NumericRangeQueries seem
slow.

Are there any alternatives or better ways of getting documents in order of
a NumericField for a very large index?

--
Rob