lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Lutz Fechner" <LFech...@hubwoo.com>
Subject RE: Memory question
Date Tue, 15 May 2012 14:51:06 GMT
Hi,

By design memory outside the JVM heap space should not be accessible for
java applications.

Why you might see is the disc cache of the Linux storage subsystem.

Best Regards

Lutz

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Bamford [mailto:chris.bamford@talktalk.net]
Sent: Dienstag, 15. Mai 2012 09:47
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Memory question

Hi

Can anyone tell me what happens to the memory when Lucene opens an
index?  Is it loaded into the JVM's heap or is it mapped into virtual
memory outside of it?
I am running on Linux and if I use pmap on the PID of my JVM, I can see
lots of entries for index cfs files.

Does this mean that indexes are mapped into non-heap memory?  If so, how
can I monitor the space my process is using if I cache open
IndexSearchers?

The details are:

Sun 64-bit JVM on Linux.
Lucene 3.6 running in 2.3 compatibility mode (as we are in the in the
process of a migration to 3.6)

Thanks,

- Chris