lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Bamford <chris.bamf...@talktalk.net>
Subject Memory question
Date Tue, 15 May 2012 14:47:24 GMT
Hi

Can anyone tell me what happens to the memory when Lucene opens an index?  Is it loaded into
the JVM's heap or is it mapped into virtual memory outside of it?
I am running on Linux and if I use pmap on the PID of my JVM, I can see lots of entries for
index cfs files.

Does this mean that indexes are mapped into non-heap memory?  If so, how can I monitor the
space my process is using if I cache open IndexSearchers?

The details are:

Sun 64-bit JVM on Linux.
Lucene 3.6 running in 2.3 compatibility mode (as we are in the in the process of a migration
to 3.6)

Thanks,

- Chris