lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Christoph Kaser <lucene_l...@iconparc.de>
Subject Re: Memory question
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 07:11:36 GMT
Another option to consider is to *decrease* the JVM maximum heap size.
This in effect leaves more memory for swapped in mmio pages and
decreases the GC effort, which might increase system performance and
stability.

Regards,
Christoph

Am 15.05.2012 21:38, schrieb Chris Bamford:
> Thanks Uwe.
>
> What I'd like to understand is the implications of this on a server which opens a large
number of indexes over a long period. Will this non-heap memory continue to grow? Will gc
be effective at spotting it and releasing it via references in the heap?

>   I had an instance yesterday where a server swapped itself to a standstill and had to
be restarted. The load average was through the roof and I am trying to understand why. One
of my recent changes is updating from 2.3 to 3.6, so naturally I am keen to know the impact
of the mmap stuff which is now standard under the covers.

> My server caches indexsearchers and then closes them based on how full the heap is getting.
My worry is that if the bulk of the memory is being allocated outside the Jvm, how can I make
sensible decisions?