lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Uwe Schindler <>
Subject Re: Directory, IndexInput and IndexOutput concurrency
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 05:24:14 GMT
In addition, IndexInput.clone must create abother view on the same file, useable from another
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, 28213 Bremen

Michael McCandless <> schrieb:

Multiple threads are free to interact with Directory.

But it will be only one thread at a time interacting with a single
instance of IndexInput and IndexOutput.

Mike McCandless

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Dhruv <> wrote:
> I am trying to implement an in-memory version of the Directory, IndexInput
> and IndexOutput classes, similar to RAMDirectory.
> Can someone please point out if there are any concurrency and thread safety
> requirements from these classes? Do the users of these classes implement
> client side locking or use thread confinement? Are there any other OS level
> file system guarantees which the Lucene's Directory implementations make
> use of and which I should ensure from my in-memory implementation?
> I am using Lucene 3.0.3 and I have looked at RAMDirectory's and
> RAMIndexInputStream and RAMIndexOutputStream code but it does not
> explicitly mention any concurrency requirements.
> Any help in this regard will be appreciated.
> Thank you,
> -Dhruv

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: