lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Tim Eck" <tim...@gmail.com>
Subject update/re-add an existing document with numeric fields
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 17:21:30 GMT
Note: I'm bound to lucene 3.0.3 for the context of this question, but

I would be interested to know if newer versions would help me here.

I have an existing document in my directory that has one regular

String field and one numeric field. I naively thought I could update

that document to change the String field with code like this:

  FSDirectory dir = FSDirectory.open(...);

  IndexWriter writer = new IndexWriter(dir, new

      StandardAnalyzer(Version.LUCENE_30), MaxFieldLength.UNLIMITED);

  // doc has 2 fields, one String and the other numeric

  Document doc = new Document();

  doc.add(new Field("string", "value", Store.YES,

      Index.ANALYZED_NO_NORMS));

  NumericField nf = new NumericField("numeric", Field.Store.YES,

      true);

  nf.setIntValue(42);

  doc.add(nf);

  writer.addDocument(doc);

  writer.commit();

  // make sure we can query on the numeric field

  IndexSearcher searcher = new IndexSearcher(dir);

  TopDocs docs = searcher.search(new TermQuery(new Term("numeric",

      NumericUtils.intToPrefixCoded(42))), 1);

  if (docs.totalHits != 1) {

      throw new AssertionError();

  }

  doc = searcher.doc(docs.scoreDocs[0].doc);

  searcher.close();

  // update document with new value for string field

  doc.removeField("string");

  doc.add(new Field("string", "value2", Store.YES,

      Index.ANALYZED_NO_NORMS));

  writer.updateDocument(new Term("string", "value"), doc);

  writer.commit();

  // search again

  searcher = new IndexSearcher(dir);

  docs = searcher.search(new TermQuery(new Term("numeric",

      NumericUtils.intToPrefixCoded(42))), 1);

  if (docs.totalHits != 1) {

      throw new AssertionError(docs.totalHits);

  }

That doesn't seem to work however. It seems I need to get the

NumericField rematerialized in the document passed to

updateDocument(). I was hoping to avoid that if possible so

I'm looking for any suggestions someone might offer.