lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Yang <teddyyyy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: lucene algorithm ?
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2012 19:57:39 GMT
yes, that's why many search engines will not allow user visit page
> number greater than a threshold. for most application, users usually
> only visit top results. That's why ranking algorithm is important. if
> you found your users always turn to next page, I think you should
> consider your application. you should provide more filter condition or
> improving ranking algorithm.

interesting, I just tried google "yellow dog"  and ask it to retrieve from
the 900's result,  the access time is 0.6 seconds, while the first page
comes out in 0.33 seconds (well of course the first page result may well be
cached,
but as I go from the first page to the 8'th page, the time does
consistently increase)

https://www.google.com/#q=yellow+dog&hl=en&prmd=imvns&ei=Q_maT433OombiQeB3dm1Dg&start=900&fp=a2cbb8d5ae567362