lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Hill <p...@metajure.com>
Subject RE: Lucene 4 - POS and Syntactic Tagging
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 16:49:19 GMT
> Mark McGuire wrote:
> I'm working on a project where I need to tag both the part of speech and other syntactic
information on tokens

To pick up on this thread from a few weeks back.

I've never done this myself, but I think that your desire to put extra information that is
not really a token in the index at a particular location is exactly what Payloads are for.
http://www.lucidimagination.com/blog/2009/08/05/getting-started-with-payloads/

The above article even mentions:
"A payload can be used to store weights for specific terms or things like part of speech tags
or other semantic information. "

I don't believe that searching on attributes is the way to speak about it.  Attributes are
features of some of Lucene objects, a way to ask for something from a complex object.  Some
attributes return information from the index, but attributes are not in indexes, tokens and
payloads are in indexes.  But I'm sure my understanding is incomplete also, because using
something other than "WORD" seems like a way to go, but I can't see how to get a query to
search on a particular type of token.

-Paul