lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki>
Subject Re: Re-indexing a particular field only without re-indexing the entire enclosing document in the index
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:32:14 GMT
On 25/04/2012 13:58, Erick Erickson wrote:
> There's no update-in-place, currently you _have_ to re-index the
> entire document.
> But to the original question:
> There is a "limited join" capability you might investigate that would
> allow you to split up the textual data and metadata into two different
> documents and join them. I don't know how well it scales, but it may
> fit your needs.
> It turns out that update-in-place is more than a bit difficult given the
> nature of the inverted index. There are some proposals for addressing
> this, but nothing has gotten beyond the design stage as far as I know.

LUCENE-3837, to be specific. But as you said, it's still early and there
is no code yet to speak of...

Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><
___|||__||  \|  ||  |  Embedded Unix, System Integration  Contact: info at sigram dot com

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message