lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Saurabh Gokhale <saurabhgokh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NEW TO LUCENE
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 21:37:22 GMT
Hi Rahul,

The first thing you should do it get a copy of "Lucene in Action, Second
Edition" book and start reading from head to toe. This book is fabulous
book on lucene and give you complete insight into this framework.

Also if you want to use lucene to develop some kind of seach interface,
then the chances are that you will end up using Apache solr eventually.

I would recommend to start reading about Solr as well which is a search
framework on top of lucene. It hides lot of complexities of lucene and
still gives you all (at least most of the :)  the benefits of Lucene and
many more of its own.

Some sites where you can get wealth of information about lucene
http://lucene.apache.org/
http://www.lucidimagination.com
http://www.codemaps.org/c/Lucene
http://www.rce-cast.com/Podcast/rce-67-lucene-indexing-and-search-v2.html(just
saw Brock's
mail regarding this podcast, havnt  checked myself yet but I am sure it
will be good.)

I dont have idea about endeca search engine.. but I am sure some one will
come back with comparisons. Actually after lucene and solr I bet you wont
go for any other search framework :)

Thanks

Saurabh