lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Pavel Goncharik <pavel.goncha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: boolean score calculation
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:58:11 GMT
Dear Lucene users and developers,

sorry for getting back to this old subject, but we are in the position
of re-evaluating our current implementation, which uses re-compiled
version of Lucene 3 with boolean scorers multiplying sub-scores. I was
hoping that "flexible ranking" in Lucene 4 will provide a mechanism
for that, but after a brief look it seems that "adition" is still
locked in corresponding implementations of boolean scorers. I also can
not see how CustomScoreQuery, suggested below, might help, so here we
go again.

To illustrate the problem with a simplified example, think of a
boolean query, comprised of 3 sub-clauses (A and B and C):
then if for document #1 the score for query A = 3, for B = 3, for C =
3, then result score 3 + 3 + 3 = 9;
and for another document #2 where score for A = 8, for B = 1 and for C
= 1, result score 8 + 1 + 1 = 10.

The thing is that in my case doc #1 is much more important, because
its sub-clauses are "represented" much more evenly than in the doc #2,
where B and C are represented poorly and it bubbles up only because of
over-blown (for whatever reason) score of A. What's needed is some
mechanism to represent poorness of B and C stronger - e.g. simple
multiplication instead of addition, so that the score for doc #1 =
3*3*3 = 27 and for doc #2 = 8*1*1 = 8, and doc #1 wins.

1) do I miss something in Lucene 3 or 4?
2) wouldn't it be much more flexible, if there was an easy-to-override
method/parameter in e.g. Similarity or BooleanQuery, to be invoked by
boolean scorers for calculating compound score of boolean sub-clauses?