lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: BlockJoinQuery Clarification
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2012 15:02:27 GMT
You have to replace all documents in the block (1 parent, 4 children
in your example) to update any of the documents... only updating the
child (or child + parent) will break the join...

There's also query-time joining coming in 3.6.0.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM, kiwi clive <kiwi_clive@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've been looking at the BlockJoinQuery in Lucene 3.4.0 and would like to clarify my
understanding.

> Suppose we have a parent document that we index with (say) 4 child documents. My understanding
is that these go in as an atomic unit and allows us to query and join across the documents.

> Now what say I wanted to update one of the child documents (only).  If the child document
was update with a standard update, I presume the join to the parent is broken. If I update
using a Collection, is it necessary to reindex all of the documents (4 children + pareent).

> And finally, if I updated one child using a collection with the parent, would both of
these documents require reindexing and loose their affinity with other children ?