lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Taylor <paul_t...@fastmail.fm>
Subject Does a larger tf always boost a documents score in Lucene?
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2012 21:47:14 GMT
I understand that the default term frequency (tf) is simply calculated
as the sqrt of number of times a particular term being searched appears
in a field. So documents containing multiple occurences of a term you
are searching on will have a higher tf and hence weight.

What I'm unsure about is whether this helps *increase* the documents
score because the weight is higher or *reduces* the documents score
because its move the document vector away from the query vector as the
book Hibernate Search in Action seems to be saying (pg 363). ( I must
confess I'm really struggling to see exactly how the document vector
model fits in with lucene scoring equation)

Paul