lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Taylor <paul_t...@fastmail.fm>
Subject How disabling norms on a field effects other fields
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 21:44:15 GMT
I have a number of fields that either only ever have a term frequency of
1 or I don't want them to be disavantaged if they do have a greater term
frequency, and I never boost the field so I disable norms for these
fields with Field.Index.ANALYZED_NO_NORM or
Field.Index.NOT_ANALYZED_NO_NORM.

But  if I'm searching using two fields

i.e

a:term1 OR b:term2

and A has norms enabled and B doesn't, doesnt't that mean  that
documents that match B are more likely to score better than documents
that match A because when the score for a document matching just A will
end up with a lower score in the weight = tf * idf * fieldnorm calculation.

Thats not what I wanted,  I just wanted a document matching on field B
which contained three terms to score as well as a match on a document
field B with one term

Have I understood this right, if so what the solution ?