lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Taylor <paul_t...@fastmail.fm>
Subject In Lucene 3.5 is it always better to not optimize indexes ?
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 17:07:33 GMT
I've updated codebase from 3.4 to 3.5 and as part of that took the
advice to no longer optimize my indexes.

During testing everything seemed okay but since releasing to Live
noticed the load on the servers is about 50% higher. I made quite a few
code changes in this release but its not obvious that these would cause
this increase so Im wondering if maybe the problem is

1. My searches are now working off unoptimized indexes rather than
optimized indexes ?
2. 3.5 is slower than 3.4
3. The number of documents in each index is the same but I added two new
fields so the size of each index is about 20% larger, does this have
much effect ?

Paul