lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Counting all the hits with parallel searching
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2012 14:50:15 GMT
On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I have a lot of segments, and an executor service in my searcher,
> the following runs out of memory instantly, building giant heaps. Is
> there another way to express this? Should I file a JIRA that the
> parallel code should have some graceful behavior?
>
> int longestMentionFreq = searcher.search(longestMentionQuery, filter,
> Integer.MAX_VALUE).totalHits + 1;

the _n_ you pass there is the actual number of results that you need
to display to the user, in top-N order.
so in most cases this should be something like 20.

This is because it builds a priority queue of size _n_ to return
results in sorted order.

Don't pass huge numbers here: if you are not actually returning pages
of results to the user, but just counting hits, then pass
TotalHitCountCollector.

--
lucidimagination.com