lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Building FST-like automaton queries
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 15:48:53 GMT
I filed an issue for that.

I'll try to port it myself actually. It shouldn't be a big problem.

Dawid

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Michael McCandless
<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> Neat :)  It's like a FuzzyQuery w/ a custom (binary?) cost matrix for
> the insert/delete/transposition changes...
>
> Is the number of edits smallish?  Ie you're not concerned about
> combinatoric explosion of step 1?
>
> For steps 2 and 3 you shouldn't use FST at all.  Instead, for 2) use
> BasicAutomata.makeString(String) on each of your expanded terms, then
> BasicOperations.union on all of those automata to make a single
> automaton accepting all your expanded terms, then likely call
> .determinize() on the resulting automaton (maybe also .minimize() but
> I think that may not help).  Then pass that automaton to AQ.
>
> We don't yet have a way to drive a query from an FST, but that would
> be an interesting addition.  EG you could then support weights as
> well, to decide how the terms are scored (if certain OCR errors are
> more likely than others).
>
> Mike McCandless
>
> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 7:33 AM, Alan Woodward
> <alan.woodward@romseysoftware.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to create a Lucene Query that will take a term and expand it to include
common OCR errors (for example, 'cl' is often misread as 'd', so a search for 'clog' should
also hit 'dog').  My plan is to do this by generating all the possible variants of a term,
using an existing list of errors, and then somehow mapping this into an AutomatonQuery.  I've
been looking around the o.a.l.util.automaton and o.a.l.util.fst packages on trunk, and I *think*
that this is possible, but I'm so far failing to work out how to put the various bits together.