lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: facet vs group search
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 09:05:00 GMT
If I understand 'group search' correctly, you mean grouping search results
by some criteria?

The main difference between grouping search results to faceted search is
that when you group search results by some criteria, your request is
something like "give me the top 3 results from each movie category". You
would then receive max of 3 results from each movie category such as
Thriller, Comedy etc.

When you do faceted search, you issue a general query and ask to get back
regular search results, in addition to their distribution into the
different categories. For instance, you would issue the query "Bruce
Willis" and ask to get back statistics about the 'Movie Category' and
'Year' facets. You would then receive general search results about Bruce
Willis, and the requested facets will show some statistics about these
search results. For example, 'Movie Category/Action' would show a number 7,
indicating that out of the total result set, 7 of them are associated with
Action movies.

So 'group by' means which results to receive in the first place while
faceted search means what statistics to aggregate about the results. These
two can be combined of course.

Lucene has a new faceted search module since Lucene 3.4.0. You can read
about it here:
http://lucene.apache.org/core/old_versioned_docs/versions/3_5_0/api/contrib-facet/userguide.html
.

Shai