lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <ian....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: upgrading from 3.0.3 to 3.5.0
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 09:37:44 GMT
> I am upgrading from 3.0.3 to 3.5.0.
>
> 1) NumberTools is deprecated. I am converting long to string and storing it in Index.
Now this is deprecated. If i replace this API with NumericUtils / NumericField, will it work
for existing index? Whether i need to rebuild the index?

You will need to rebuild if you switch to using NumericField.

> 2) I am using ParallelMultiSearcher. This is now deprecated. Whether i should use ParallelReader
/ IndexSearcher (reader, subreaders)?

The deprecation warning in the javadocs says "Please pass an
ExecutorService to IndexSearcher, instead" so I'd do that.

> 3) Optimize method is deprecated. The help says "This method has been deprecated, as
it is horribly inefficient and very rarely justified. Lucene's multi-segment search performance
has improved over time, and the default TieredMergePolicy now targets segments with deletions."
> This means usage of this method is not justified any more. I am doing optimization once
per day. Is that not required now.

No.

--
Ian.