lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dragon Fly <dragon-fly...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Most recent document within a group ...
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2012 13:04:42 GMT

Erick, what if the search returns 100,000 hits? I'm trying to avoid loading a large number
of documents from disk (i.e. a slow operation) and then pick up the top one.  I know how to
execute a search (sorted by date).  Is there a way to just load the first hit from disk? I
don't know which Lucene method call would actually load the documents from disk.  searcher.doc
() maybe? Thanks.

> Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 15:39:21 -0500
> Subject: Re: Most recent document within a group ...
> From: erickerickson@gmail.com
> To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
>
> Have you looked at the Searcher.search variant
> that takes a Sort parameter?
>
> Best
> Erick
>
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Dragon Fly <dragon-fly999@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Let's say I have 6 documents and each document has 2 fields (i.e. CustomerName and
OrderDate).  For example:

> > Doc 1    John    20120115
> > Doc 2    Mary    20120113
> > Doc 3    Peter   20120117
> > Doc 4    Kate    20120208
> > Doc 5    John    20120211
> > Doc 6    Alan    20110423
> >
> > Is there a way to execute a search to return the document with the most recent OrderDate
for a CustomerName? For instance, if I search for John, it should return Doc 5 (because Doc
5 is more recent than Doc 1).  Thank you.