lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dragon Fly <dragon-fly...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Most recent document within a group ...
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2012 15:29:34 GMT

I'll give it a try, thanks.

> Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 08:29:57 -0500
> Subject: Re: Most recent document within a group ...
> From: erickerickson@gmail.com
> To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
>
> Just try it. Sorting doesn't load the document, it does load
> the unique values for the sort field. Which is why indexing
> dates benefits from using the coarsest resolution you can,
> i.e. don't store millisecond resolution if all you care about
> is the day something was published.
>
> In fact, sorting doesn't load the documents at all, the values
> are read from the inverted index.
>
> Best
> Erick
>
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Dragon Fly <dragon-fly999@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Erick, what if the search returns 100,000 hits? I'm trying to avoid loading a large
number of documents from disk (i.e. a slow operation) and then pick up the top one.  I know
how to execute a search (sorted by date).  Is there a way to just load the first hit from
disk? I don't know which Lucene method call would actually load the documents from disk.
searcher.doc () maybe? Thanks.

> >> Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 15:39:21 -0500
> >> Subject: Re: Most recent document within a group ...
> >> From: erickerickson@gmail.com
> >> To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
> >>
> >> Have you looked at the Searcher.search variant
> >> that takes a Sort parameter?
> >>
> >> Best
> >> Erick

recent OrderDate for a CustomerName? For instance, if I search for John, it should return
Doc 5 (because Doc 5 is more recent than Doc 1).  Thank you.