lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Austin, Carl" <Carl.Aus...@baesystemsdetica.com>
Subject RE: query performance with leading *
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:43:26 GMT
You could possibly tokenize the value both forwards and in reverse, for
example:

123456 and 654321

You can then convert a query for *56 to 65* and this will increase
performance.

-----Original Message-----
From: G.Long [mailto:jdevgl@gmail.com]
Sent: 13 February 2012 16:39
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: query performance with leading *

Hi,

Is there a way to improve query performance when using a leading * as a
wildcard on a path property?

I have hundreds of queries to run on a lucene index (~250mo). Executing
those queries without the leading * is about 5x faster than with the
leading *. My problem is that I sometimes need to use the leading *.

Most of the queries have the full path as parameter but some of them
have only a part of it.

The queries look like:
"+projet:CCOM +path:*/folder5/folder6/folder_ab/

I'm using lucene 3.1.0

Regards,
Gary

This message should be regarded as confidential. If you have received this email in error
please notify the sender and destroy it immediately.

Statements of intent shall only become binding when confirmed in hard copy by an authorised
signatory.

The contents of this email may relate to dealings with other companies under the control of
BAE Systems plc details of which can be found at http://www.baesystems.com/Businesses/index.htm.

Detica Limited is a BAE Systems company trading as BAE Systems Detica.
Detica Limited is registered in England and Wales under No: 1337451.
Registered office: Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7YP, England.