lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Poll: how to report # of docs in index over time
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2012 04:12:42 GMT
Hello,

Quick poll for those who have an opinion about what index size monitoring should report in
terms of the number of documents in the index.

Poll: http://blog.sematext.com/2012/02/13/poll-solr-index-size-monitoring/

For example, imagine that in some 5-minute time period (say 10:00 AM to 10:05 AM) we check
the index 5 times (in reality we do it much for frequently) and each time we do that we find
the index has a different number of documents in it: 10, 15, 20, 25, and finally 30 documents.
 Now imagine this data as a graph showing the number of indexed document over time, but with
the smallest  time period shown being a 5 minutes interval.

Given the above example,how many documents should this graph report for the 10:00 – 10:05
AM period?
Should it show the minimum – 10?  Average – 20?  Mean – 20?  Maximum -30?  Minimum,
average, and maximum – 10, 20, 30?   Something else?

Thanks!

Otis