lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From hasghari <hasgh...@gmail.com>
Subject Nested BlockJoinQuery
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:31:10 GMT
I'm trying to learn more about using BlockJoinQuery in our search application
and I came across this blog post by Mike McCandless:
http://blog.mikemccandless.com/2012/01/searching-relational-content-with.html

The blog post mentions that it is possible to do joins that can be nested
(parent to child to grandchild) but does not elaborate further.

Could someone please explain how to formulate such a query for the following
use case?

Let's say we want to create a music search application where the lucene
index documents are nested as such:

music genre -> band -> band members

Some sample data:

Rock -> Pink Floyd -> Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Richard Wright, Nick
Mason

Pop -> Michael Jackson -> Michael Jackson

Alternative/Indie -> Waters -> Van Pierszalowski

We would like to search for the term "waters" and be able to find out what
the genre/band are. In the case of the sample data above, we would expect
the result set to include 'Rock/Pink Floyd' because of Roger Waters and
'Alternative/Indie' because of the Waters band name.

It seems like this would be a good candidate for using nested BlockJoinQuery
queries.

Thanks,
Hamed