lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: Date time as String or Numeric field
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 10:22:51 GMT
Hi,

NumericField takes more space on disk and (possibly more heap because term
dictionary is larger), but is much faster on RANGE searches
(NumericRangeQuery). Depending on index size this can be hundreds of times
faster.

If you don't want to do numeric searches (like range from...to) but only
sort against the numeric field, use precisionStep=Integer.MAX_VALUE, then it
takes even less space on disk or heap. The additional disk space is needed
for optimizing range searches (which is wanted in most cases). If you use
the infinite precision step, each numeric value only generates one token,
but search with NumericRangeQuery is then as slow as a TermRangeQuery.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen