lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: Is it possible to create an index with lucene core version 3.3+ by using Version.2_3 that I can then open an index with the original lucene core 2.3 version?
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 22:09:40 GMT
Hi,

No, its not possible. The Version.LUCENE_23 param passed to several Lucene
components is only to emulate behaviour on analysis (like tokenization
rules) or specific settings from previous versions. The indexes created by
IndexWriter can only be read by same or newer versions.

With Lucene 4.0'c Codec API, it would be eventually possible to write a
"codec" that emits the very ancient index format, but that's not planned and
up to the user to do this if he has time and money :-).

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de