lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <ian....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Indexing product keys with and without spaces in them
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 10:06:28 GMT
When indexing you could normalise them down to a standard format
without spaces or hyphens, but searching is much harder if you really
can't identify possible product ids within user queries.  Make
triplets without spaces or hyphens?  "CRX USB-2.0 16GB" ==>
CRXUSB2.016GB but also "some random words" ==> somerandomwords.  The
latter wouldn't match, the former would if it was a valid id.

Some form of synonym analysis/injection at indexing would be better if
you could do that: CRXUSB2.016GB ==> "CRX USB2.0 16GB", to be indexed
as well as the base value.

If you can't either have a dedicated product id search field or
standardise the product ids, this is going to be hard.

--
Ian,