lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Trejkaz <trej...@trypticon.org>
Subject Remoting Lucene
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2012 02:59:52 GMT
Hi all.

I want to access a Lucene index remotely.  I'm aware of a couple of
options for it which seem to operate more or less at the IndexSearcher
level - send a query, get back results.

But in our case, we use IndexReader directly for building statistics,
which is too slow to do via individual queries.

Additionally, we want to access the thing over port 80 so that people
can punch through firewalls without needing a proxy.

I was going to write off this set of wishes as not implementable and
start writing our own API for each of our specific statistical tasks
so that we can do all of that server-side, but I thought it wouldn't
hurt to ask here in case someone happened to have seen a solution to
this sort of problem.

Currently we're accessing the files straight over the network, but
there are a number of issues (lack of explicit authentication,
susceptibility to issues with whatever protocol is used to share the
files and so forth.)

TX