lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dave Seltzer <dselt...@tveyes.com>
Subject RE: Searching a string using lucene
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2012 22:05:36 GMT
Hi Stephen,

That is precisely what I was looking for! Thanks very much!

-Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Howe [mailto:]
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:00 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Searching a string using lucene

Have you taken a look at the MemoryIndex?
http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_5_0/api/all/index.html See in particular:

> Typically, it is about 10-100 times faster than RAMDirectory. Note that
> RAMDirectory has particularly large efficiency overheads for small to
> medium sized texts, both in time and space. Indexing a field with N
tokens
> takes O(N) in the best case, and O(N logN) in the worst case. Memory
> consumption is probably larger than for RAMDirectory.
> Example throughput of many simple term queries over a single
MemoryIndex:
> ~500000 queries/sec on a MacBook Pro, jdk 1.5.0_06, server VM. As
always,
> your mileage may vary.

If you have all your queries predefined, this could be a pretty fast way
get where you want to go.

Stephen
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Dave Seltzer <dseltzer@tveyes.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I'm having a bit of trouble Googling this, so I'm hoping someone can
point
> me in the right direction.
>

> We have a system which generates blocks of text which need to be
searched
> as they come in. I was hoping I could use Lucene's query parser and
> analyzer to search a block of text for a series of searches. This
example (
> http://javatechniques.com/blog/lucene-in-memory-text-search-example/ )
is