lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Peter K <peat...@yahoo.de>
Subject Comparing Indexing Speed of Lucene 3.5 and 4.0
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 16:56:22 GMT
Hi,

I recently switched an experimental project from Lucene 3.5 to 4.0 from
6th Dec 2011
and my indexing time increased by nearly 20% on my local machine*.
It seems to me that two simple StringField's could cause this slow down:
Field uIdField = new Field("_uid", "" + id, StringField.TYPE_STORED);
Field typeField = new Field("_type", "test", StringField.TYPE_STORED);

Without them Lucene 4 is faster**. Here is a recreation using different
branches for every lucene version:
https://github.com/karussell/lucene-tmp
Or is there something wrong with my too simplistic scenario?

Furthermore: How could I further improve Lucene 4.0 indexing speed?
(I already read through the performance list on the wiki)

Regards,
Peter.

*
open jdk 1.6.0_20  (but also confirmed with latest java6 from oracle)
ubuntu/10.10 linux/2.6.35-31 i686, 2GB ram

**
lucene 3.5
23.5sec index all three fields: _id, _uid, type
19.0sec index only the _id field

lucene 4
29.5sec index _id, _uid, type
16.5sec index only the _id