lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Christoph Kaser <lucene_l...@iconparc.de>
Subject Re: Indexing product keys with and without spaces in them
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 13:22:34 GMT
Hi Aditya,

Thank you for your suggestion!
Unfortunately, this is not possible, as there is no common format for
all product keys. The products are not ours nor are they all from the
same manufacturer, so we don't have any influence on how the product
keys look like.

Regards,
Christoph

On 03.01.2012 14:10, findbestopensource wrote:
> Hi Christoph
>
> My opinion is, you should not normalize or do any modification to the
> product keys. This should be unique. Should be used as it is. Instead of
> spaces you should have only used "-" but since the product already out in
> the market, it cannot help.
>
> In your UI, You could provide multiple text box where user will fill
> respective chars. You could add space or "-" before passing the key to
> Lucene.
>
> Regards
> Aditya
> www.findbestopensource.com - Finds best open source across all platforms.
>

> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Christoph Kaser<lucene_list@iconparc.de>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> we use lucene as search engine in an online shop. The products in this
>> shop often contain product keys like CRXUSB2.0-16GB.
>> We would like our customers to be able to find products by entering their
>> key. The problem is that product keys sometimes contain spaces or dashes
>> and customers sometimes don't enter these whitespaces correctly. On the
>> other hand, some customers enter whitespaces where there are none. Is there
>> an analyzer or some other method that allows us to find the product if the
>> user enters things like:
>> - "CRX USB2.0 16GB"
>> - "CRXUSB2.016GB"
>> - "CRX USB-2.0 16GB"
>>
>> The problem is that the product keys don't all have a common format and
>> are contained in the normal text, so we don't have an easy way to treat
>> them different to the rest of the text.
>>
>> Any help would be great!
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Christoph

Dipl.-Inf. Christoph Kaser

IconParc GmbH
Sophienstrasse 1
80333 München

www.iconparc.de

Tel +49 -89- 15 90 06 - 21
Fax +49 -89- 15 90 06 - 49

Geschäftsleitung: Dipl.-Ing. Roland Brückner, Dipl.-Inf. Sven Angerer. HRB
121830, Amtsgericht München