lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "David Smiley (" <>
Subject Re: Spatial Search
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2012 06:02:01 GMT

Lance Java wrote
> Hi, I'm trying to keep this a lucene only project rather than bring in
> solr
> which, as I understand, needs to run in a separate web container. I'd like
> to use a single webapp for my project as I'm unsure of the implications of
> hosting such a project on the cloud.

By the way, Solr does not need to run in a separate web container; it is
merely a recommendation for larger installations.  Simply deploy it as a
web-app; Solr's WAR is ready and waiting.  And if you're hung up on that
(which you shouldn't be), Solr can be embedded.  IMO very few projects would
be better served working with Lucene directly instead of Solr (or Solr's
Lucene based competitors).

~ David Smiley

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: