lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Josh Stone <pacesysj...@gmail.com>
Subject Using Lucene to match document sets to each other
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 21:56:16 GMT
I have a use case for which I'm trying to figure out the best way to use
Lucene and could use some guidance.

I have a set of documents representing products in a catalog (name,
description, etc.). I then pull down data from different sources such as
Ebay and Amazon and need to determine if the items retrieved from those
sources match any of the products in the catalog. So I'm essentially
attempting to take many items and many products and determine where I have
matches.

I'm not sure the best way to go about this, but one questionable approach
is to index the items as I pull them in (to RAM) and do one search for
every product in my catalog, looking for matching names or descriptions.
This means an almost exponential number of queries though. Is there a
better approach? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh