lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "logic.cpp" <logic....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best document format / markup for text indexing?
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2011 01:12:03 GMT
Thank you for the help, I will see where this leads me.

On Nov 23, 2011, at 10:01 AM, Michael Sokolov <sokolov@ifactory.com> wrote:

> In my experience, books and other semi-structured text documents are best handled as
XML.  There are many many different XML "vocabularies" for doing this, each of which has benefits
for different kinds of documents.  You probably should look at TEI, NLM Book, and DocBook
though - these are some widely-used standard formats for capturing structured book-type texts.
 There are other standards for journal articles and other kinds of documents.

> The question of how to store, index and retrieve the kind of information and structure
captured by XML documents has gotten a lot of attention, too.  There are XML-specific data
stores such as MarkLogic and eXist (which uses Lucene for full text search).  Or you could
consider "rolling your own" with something like Solr/Lucene as a search index.  Because you're
posting on this list, I assume you're considering the last option, which is a good one, but
will require some development effort as you consider how to map document structures into indexes,
how to preserve document structure when you highlight query terms, etc.

> -Mike Sokolov
>
> PS - if you are interested in professional help, please consider our platform (pubfactory.net)
and drop me an e-mail.

> On 11/17/2011 3:46 PM, logic.cpp wrote:
>> tl;dr version:
>>
>> We're converting tons (hundreds of thousands?) of books into digital text.
>>
>> What is the best format/markup/ebook standard/document standard/other to use for
easiest and best text search support?

>> ***
>>
>> Longer version;
>>
>> The following are some desired user experience features of the project, these probably
influence the way in which the content should preferably be stored;

>> - Granular access to the text content.
>> Users would be able to fetch a specific phrase in a specific paragraph in a specific
page in a specific chapter in a specific book. (A 'document' may consist of a single chapter
of a book).

>> - Cross referencing.
>> Most likely achieved through a RDBMS, users should have references to/from content
that refers or mentions a topic or quotes related content in other books.
>> (Similar to Wikipedia articles linking to one-another.)
>>
>> - Full text search
>> This is probably where Lucene comes in.
>>

>> So which format/markup/standard would allow for software to easily fetch and cross-reference
granular bits of data, as well as be easily indexable by Lucene?

>> Would it maybe be better to store all the books' digital text straight into the RDBMS?
In which case, can Lucene index such data?