lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Lukáš Vlček <lukas.vl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ElasticSearch
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 06:01:18 GMT
Hi Peter,

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Peter Karich <peathal@yahoo.de> wrote:

> > I don't think it's possible.
>
> Eh, of course its possible (if I would understand it I would do it. no,
> no, just joking ;))
>
> and yes, Solr its a shorter for some common use cases. I don't think
> that there is a 'best', but JSON can map 1:1 to lucene.
>
> The biggest problem with ES's syntax is that you can have super big
> queries where you miss the big picture or some closing bracket (probably
> </xml> would be better ;))
> => so this makes it sometimes harder to 'parse' for humans (for bigger
> queries) and more chatty
>
> The biggest problem with Solr's syntax is that you need to escape here
> and there and you have all the different brackets and dots (e.g. for
> ranges, local params, term filter, ...),
> which makes it hard to parse for *non*-humans and sub-intelligent people
> IMO. An advantage is that you can put the URL into the browser with
> Solr, which is only possible via additional software for ES (called
> Elasticsearch-head). although some parameters are available as URL
> parameters as well in ES

Not sure if I understood exactly what you meant here but do you know you
can always use "source" URL parameter to pass in any DSL query string in
ES? In other words, just take DSL query JSON and pass it as a URL parameter
(mostly handy for JSONP). And there are a lot of tools that can support you
here, not only ES-head, but also REST plugins for web browsers if you do
not mind writing the JSON query yourself (not to mention that in many
programming languages it is much easier to work with JSON then it is in
Java).