lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Samuel García Martínez <samuelgmarti...@gmail.com>
Subject How to determine result quality
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2011 09:40:30 GMT
Hi list,

I have been searching about score normalization few days (now i know this
can't be done) in Lucene using this list, wiki, blogposts, etc. I'm going
to expose my problem because I'm not sure that score normalization is what
our project need.

*Background*:
  In our project, we are using Solr on top of Lucene with custom
RequestHandlers and SearchComponents. For a given query, we need to detect
when a query got poor results to trigger different actions.

*Assumptions*:
  Inmutable index (once indexed, it is not updated) and Same query tipology
(dismax qparser with same field boosting, without boost functions nor boost
queries).

*Problem*:
  We know that score normalization is not implementable. But is there any
way to determine (using TF/IDF and boost field assumptions) when search
results match quality are poor?

*Example: *We've got an index with science papers and other one with
medcare centre's info. When a user query against first index and got poor
results (inferring it from score?), we want to query second index and merge
results using some threshold (score threshold?)

Thanks in advance
--
Un saludo,
Samuel García.