lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <ian....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene on Android: indexing, searching and highlighting
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:44:33 GMT
As far as I'm aware recent versions of lucene, including the
highlighter, should work out of the box.

I'd guess that highlighting would be the most resource intensive and
therefore troublesome bit.

I'm not aware of any sample code showing lucene working on Android,
but from my very limited experience of Android development I don't
expect there to be any issues in invoking it.  There are likely to be
some lifecycle complications - you don't want Android killing your app
when it is part way through an index update just because the app lost
focus.

If it was me, outside Android I'd write some self-contained classes
wrapping lucene and doing what is needed, keeping the lucene activity
short and sweet, and the whole thing as small and simple as possible,
test them to destruction, then drop them into Android and see what
happens.

Good luck!

--
Ian.

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Ilya Zavorin <izavorin@caci.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I need to write a Lucene-based search and retrieval app for Android. Unfortunately, I
am new to both Android development and Lucene, so I am going up two learning curves at the
same time.

> My app needs to do the following:
> 1. I have a collection of docs that I index
> 2. I have a set of queries I run against the docs/index
> 3. I need to find all "good" docs where at least one of the queries occurs.
> 4. I also need to find where in each of the good docs a hit occurs, i.e. I need to "highlight"
all the occurring queries in each of the docs. So maybe I need to compute pairs of pointers
with each pair showing where a hit starts and ends, or something similar.

> I will be using Lucene 3.4.0. It also looks like for #4 I will need to use highlighting
capabilities.

> My main question is whether I should expect any performance problems at any of the indexing/searching/highlighting
steps? Can I use the lucene and highlighting jars (lucene-core-3.4.0.jar and lucene-highlighter-3.4.0.jar)
"out of the box"?