lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: ElasticSearch
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 20:53:21 GMT
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Mark Harwood <markharw00d@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> JSON or XML can reflect more closely the hierarchy in the underlying Lucene query objects.

We normally use the Lucene QueryParser syntax itself for that (not
HTTP parameters).

Other parameters such as filters, faceting, highlighting, sorting,
etc, don't normally have any hierarchy.

I don't think JSON is always nicer either.  How would you write this
sort in JSON for example?
sort=price desc, score desc

A big plus to Solr's APIs is that it's relatively easy to type them in
to a browser to try them out.

As far as alternate query syntaxes (as opposed to alternate request
syntaxes), Solr has good support for that and
it would be simple to add in support for a JSON query syntax if
someone wrote one.
AFAIK, there's an issue open for adding the XML query syntax, but I'm
not sure if it's ever had much traction.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com