lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Harwood <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: ElasticSearch
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 20:40:24 GMT
I don't think of queries as inherently flat in the way HTTP request parameters are with their
name=value pairings.

JSON or XML can reflect more closely the hierarchy in the underlying Lucene query objects.
For me using a "flat" query interface feels a bit like when you start off trying to manage
your application config in ".properties" files and quickly hit the limitations of their expressiveness.
It's fine for simple things but complexity soon overwhelms.

As well as hierarchical syntax it's worth considering the role a formal query schema has to
play. The XMLQueryParser has a set of DTDs that currently serve to generate HTML documentation
but also could conceivably be used by tooling to drive query construction. "Runnable documentation"
always feels like a useful combo.

Cheers
Mark