lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Peter Karich <peat...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: ElasticSearch
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 23:11:36 GMT

> I don't think it's possible.

Eh, of course its possible (if I would understand it I would do it. no,
no, just joking ;))

and yes, Solr its a shorter for some common use cases. I don't think
that there is a 'best', but JSON can map 1:1 to lucene.

The biggest problem with ES's syntax is that you can have super big
queries where you miss the big picture or some closing bracket (probably
</xml> would be better ;))
=> so this makes it sometimes harder to 'parse' for humans (for bigger
queries) and more chatty

The biggest problem with Solr's syntax is that you need to escape here
and there and you have all the different brackets and dots (e.g. for
ranges, local params, term filter, ...),
which makes it hard to parse for *non*-humans and sub-intelligent people
IMO. An advantage is that you can put the URL into the browser with
Solr, which is only possible via additional software for ES (called
Elasticsearch-head). although some parameters are available as URL
parameters as well in ES

Regards,
Peter.

--