lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bet you didn't know Lucene can...
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 22:17:24 GMT
> Lucene started out at an avg 3ms but subsequent runs took it down dramatically due to
OS file caching. The all-in-memory hashset implementation clearly did not demonstrate the
same speed ups between runs.

I don't say the benchmark was wrong or anything, but this is
surprising. I mean, the default HashSet impl. is a bucketed
linked-list implementation. It made me wonder how the data was
distributed. Even with OS file caching the in-memory data structure
shouldn't fall short, at least intuitively.

> I can make the code available but the data wouldn't be possible.
> The English Wikipedia page titles are probably an equivalent size and shape so I could
try and package something up around that as a benchmarking tool for others to play with.

If you find a spare cycle, it'd be great, thanks!

Dawid