lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: IndexReader#reopen() on externally changed index
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:05:47 GMT
That's a good idea, if your index is "large enough", and/or you make
heavy use of FieldCache (eg, sorting by field), regardless of whether
you use NRT or "normal" commit + reopen to reopen your reader.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Denis Bazhenov <dotsid@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, if so I guess I should use IndexWarmer to warm up IndexReader before publishing
reference to search clients. At least it will pre read all the segments in RAM before issuing
search.

> On Oct 17, 2011, at 9:47 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:
>
>> You'll have to call .commit() from the IndexWriter to make the changes
>> externally visible.
>>
>> The call IndexReader.reopen to get a reader seeing the committed
>> changes; the reopen will be efficient (only open "new" segments vs the
>> old reader).
>>
>> It's still best to use near-real-time reader when possible (ie, open
>> the IndexReader from the IndexWriter), but it sounds like in your case
>> this is not possible since writer and reader on different
>> JVMs/machines across a network.
>>
>> Mike McCandless
>>
>> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 10:32 PM, Denis Bazhenov <dotsid@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> We have situation when lucene index is replicated over network. And on that machine
reader reopen doesn't make new documents visible to a search.

>>> As far as I know IndexReader.reopen() call does work only if changes are applied
using the linked IndexWriter. My question is: how can I implement efficient index reopen (only
new segments should be read) when index is changed externally?