lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Denis Bazhenov <dot...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IndexReader#reopen() on externally changed index
Date Sun, 30 Oct 2011 23:36:08 GMT
Well, if so I guess I should use IndexWarmer to warm up IndexReader before publishing reference
to search clients. At least it will pre read all the segments in RAM before issuing search.

On Oct 17, 2011, at 9:47 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:

> You'll have to call .commit() from the IndexWriter to make the changes
> externally visible.
>
> The call IndexReader.reopen to get a reader seeing the committed
> changes; the reopen will be efficient (only open "new" segments vs the
> old reader).
>
> It's still best to use near-real-time reader when possible (ie, open
> the IndexReader from the IndexWriter), but it sounds like in your case
> this is not possible since writer and reader on different
> JVMs/machines across a network.
>
> Mike McCandless
>
> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>
> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 10:32 PM, Denis Bazhenov <dotsid@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We have situation when lucene index is replicated over network. And on that machine
reader reopen doesn't make new documents visible to a search.

>> As far as I know IndexReader.reopen() call does work only if changes are applied
using the linked IndexWriter. My question is: how can I implement efficient index reopen (only
new segments should be read) when index is changed externally?