lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@hoplahup.net>
Subject Re: Bet you didn't know Lucene can...
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2011 12:58:56 GMT
Grant,

for years the ActiveMath learning environment has been using as storage engine.
At the time (~2004), it was by far the best storage engine ever doable in a pure java-world.
Now it still is perfect in terms of performance.
We had an issue with the separate versions where the stored-fields were not lazily loaded
(~version 1.x-2.0) so that we do not store the big fragments yet there. However, for small
fragments it's very very efficient (~5000 queries a second).

The objects stored are fragments of XML documents (the format is called OMDoc, they're mostly
hand-written).

Tell me if you need more details, I am sure the pure storage option is something very common.

paul

Le 22 oct. 2011 à 11:11, Grant Ingersoll a écrit :

> Hi All,
>
> I'm giving a talk at ApacheCon titled "Bet you didn't know Lucene can..." (http://na11.apachecon.com/talks/18396).
 It's based on my observation, that over the years, a number of us in the community have done
some pretty cool things using Lucene that don't fit under the core premise of full text search.
 I've got a fair number of ideas for the talk (easily enough for 1 hour), but I wanted to
reach out to hear your stories of ways you've (ab)used Lucene and Solr to see if we couldn't
extend the conversation to a bit more than the conference and also see if I can't inject more
ideas beyond the ones I have.  I don't need deep technical details, but just high level use
case and the basic insight that led you to believe Lucene could solve the problem.