lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Sujit Pal <sujit....@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Bet you didn't know Lucene can...
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2011 16:03:13 GMT
Hi Grant,

Not sure if this qualifies as a "bet you didn't know", but one could use
Lucene term vectors to construct document vectors for similarity,
clustering and classification tasks. I found this out recently (although
I am probably not the first one), and I think this could be quite
useful.

-sujit

On Sat, 2011-10-22 at 11:11 +0200, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm giving a talk at ApacheCon titled "Bet you didn't know Lucene can..." (http://na11.apachecon.com/talks/18396).
 It's based on my observation, that over the years, a number of us in the community have done
some pretty cool things using Lucene that don't fit under the core premise of full text search.
 I've got a fair number of ideas for the talk (easily enough for 1 hour), but I wanted to
reach out to hear your stories of ways you've (ab)used Lucene and Solr to see if we couldn't
extend the conversation to a bit more than the conference and also see if I can't inject more
ideas beyond the ones I have.  I don't need deep technical details, but just high level use
case and the basic insight that led you to believe Lucene could solve the problem.