lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Sam Jiang <sam.ji...@karoshealth.com>
Subject searching / sorting on timestamp and update efficiency
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2011 14:18:24 GMT
Hi all

I have some questions about how I should store timestamps.

>From my readings, I can see two ways of indexing timestamps:
DateTools (which uses formated timestamp strings) and
NumericUtils (which uses a long?).

I'm not sure which one gives more performance in my scenario:
For each of my document, it needs to have an indexed millisecond resolution
timestamp. Almost all searches would be invoked with a range filter
(searching at hour resolution is sufficient).
There are usually 2-4 updates to this timestamp field for recently indexed
documents. And afterwards, updates to this field or any other fields are
rare.

It would be great if somebody can advice me which format should I use.
p.s. should I be calling optimize() often given my frequent updates?

thanks

--
Sam Jiang | karoshealth
(っ゚Д゚;)っ hidden cat here