lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Em <mailformailingli...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Higher rank for closer matches
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2011 18:08:26 GMT
Thanks, Erik.
If PhraseQuery does not keep track of all matching spans, how does it do
its work (in comparison to SpanNearQuery)?

Regards,
Em

Am 21.09.2011 19:52, schrieb Erik Hatcher:
> SpanNearQuery does more work than PhraseQuery - it keeps track of all matching spans,
whereas PhraseQuery does not.  Whether the performance difference will be relevant depends
on your environment and data - so it may not be a big deal at all.

> 	Erik
>

> On Sep 21, 2011, at 10:44 , Em wrote:
>
>> Hi Erik,
>>
>> could you explain why PhraseQuery performs better than SpanNearQuery?
>>
>> Some time has passed since I read about it, however I think it was
>> exactly the other way round.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Em
>>
>> Am 21.09.2011 15:56, schrieb Erik Hatcher:
>>> PhraseQuery suffices for the stated requirement of boosting when query terms
are closer.  A common technique is to incorporate a PhraseQuery with a large slop factor of
the query terms into the query automatically, which implicitly boosts matching documents when
the query terms are closer.  A SpanNearQuery would work too, but a PhraseQuery might be easier
to incorporate and will be faster performing.