lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Em <mailformailingli...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Higher rank for closer matches
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2011 17:44:00 GMT
Hi Erik,

could you explain why PhraseQuery performs better than SpanNearQuery?

Some time has passed since I read about it, however I think it was
exactly the other way round.

Thanks!

Em

Am 21.09.2011 15:56, schrieb Erik Hatcher:
> PhraseQuery suffices for the stated requirement of boosting when query terms are closer.
 A common technique is to incorporate a PhraseQuery with a large slop factor of the query
terms into the query automatically, which implicitly boosts matching documents when the query
terms are closer.  A SpanNearQuery would work too, but a PhraseQuery might be easier to incorporate
and will be faster performing.