lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From SBS <jturn...@uow.edu.au>
Subject How to ignore apostrophes in indexes and queries?
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2011 03:53:16 GMT
In our situation we need it so that search queries and indexing ignore
apostrophes to the extent that the search results should be identical
irrespective of whether the user enters apostrophes or not.  However, the
content containing apostrophes still needs to be stored with the apostrophes
present and the highlighter needs to return the fragments with the
apostrophes present if that's how the original content is.

So, if the content looks something like:

/*onset of Alzheimer's disease*/

then a search query of /*alzheimers*/ and a query of /*alzheimer's*/ would
yield identical results and the highlighter would tell me that the word
/*Alzheimer's*/ needs to be highlighted in both cases for that document.

Is this possible?  What's the best way of implementing this?

Thanks,

-sbs